WWW.SOMMERGIBILI.COM

2 missing graves of the sub SCIRE 1942, help to locate graves of sub SCIRE

« Older   Newer »
michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 5/12/2008, 08:43

Sir, Lady,
we have been aproached by ITALIAN FAMILIES asking us to find 2 missing graves in HAIFA, ISRAEL from 1942.
when the Submarine SCIRE was sunk by the British, in Haifa Bay, on 10 AUG 1942, 3 days later 2 sailors were washed ashore, and buried in Haifa 14 AUG 1942, the names are CAPTAIN CHERSI and P O DEL BEN. I have walked all over the graveyards in HAIFA...no success..

Please help do you have any info about the SCIRE, and were are the 2 sailors buried ??

MICHAEL GOTTSCHALK
[email protected]

ISRAEL NAVY SEALS. RETIRED

totiano
view post Posted on 6/12/2008, 09:20

i'm proud to speaking with an Israelian Navy Seal. i'm normally in contact with commander Capriotti and he talk me about his period in Israel.

Scirč was the submarine that carried the Italian seals (X flottiglia mas) in the harbours fo Alexandria and Gibraltar, sunking 2 battleship a lot of merchant ship. master of the submarine was the famous Junio Valerio Borghese who wrote a beautiful book about the story of the italian seals during the 2 WW.
Scirč sunked in haifa in 1942 by a british corvette (but i'm sure you know this) and 2 crew man was find in the water: Chersi and del Ben that were buried in Haifa cemetery.

this is our web page about Scirč
http://www.sommergibili.com/scire.htm

I'm not sure, but i think that they returned in Italy in 1980 when the crew was buried in Bari (south Italy) in the Italian cemetery for who fall far from Italy
http://anapisa.interfree.it/patria/sacrari/oltremare.htm

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 6/12/2008, 12:16

many thanks to your reply! here is what is going on right now. I have looked at the sea current, and it is normally a current going NORTH. the bodies would have arrived near AKKO, or NAHARIA, so - we must look at the Catholic graveyard in AKKO. I shall try it.
if you have more information abot CAP CHERSI and PO DEL BEN, please send me. we are doing everything to find them.
MICHAEL GOTTSCHALK
ISRAELI NAVY SEALS. RETRED.

ps Does Commander CAPPRIOTY have some information ?

totiano
view post Posted on 8/12/2008, 23:31

As I posted you, I found realy few information on a book ("Scirč" by Sergio Nesi).
In 1950 J.V. Borghese (the C.O. of Sirč before Haifa) wrote about 2 grave in the cemetery of Haifa, with n° 2 for cpt Chersi e N° 3 for P.O. del Ben.

in 1963 Ltcrd Avian found the grave of P.O. del Ben a a tomb with non name but probabily of cpt Chersi

no other words, unfortunately!

good luck and, if you find them, please post a photo!

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 9/12/2008, 20:08

we are still looking. if we do find these graves, we shall write to you.

any more information? please try..............................

MICHAEL GOTTSCHALK
ISRAEL NAVY SEALS. RETIRED.

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 16/12/2008, 10:51

We have found UNMARKED GRAVES in these places:

4 unmarked graves in the GERMAN TEMPLAR GRAVEYARD in JAFFA STREET HAIFA.

2 UNMARKED GRAVES in the Christian - Messia graveyard , in KAYAT BEACH, HAIFA, about 15 Yards from the Milititary WW2 British Graveyard, near British-Police Dofficers graves. only wooden crosses, year arround 1942 (from nearby graves)

can anyone help us?

Michael Gottschalk
ISRAEL NAVY SEAL. RETIRED/

totiano
view post Posted on 16/12/2008, 11:13

The book I speaked for, the author says somthing about a British cemetery where Chersi and del Ben are buried.

Have you translated the pages?

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 16/12/2008, 18:21

I have been to the British Cemetery 4 times. nothing I have written to London war graves dep...no record.but, I found 2 UNMARKED graves about 10 meters from the Military graveyard.

I sent you these pictures....

what do you say?

can the War Office WW2 in ROME HELP US?

totiano
view post Posted on 17/12/2008, 08:33

got some problems to open mail (it's my pc).

i'll reply you next week, I hope...

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 18/12/2008, 14:57

I AM WAIYING................................................................................

totiano
view post Posted on 19/12/2008, 22:12

got a new pc, waiting for news!

PS: I lost all the pictures and mails

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 22/12/2008, 16:45

I HAVE SENT YOU THE PICTURES AGAIN. NOW, I AM WAITING ABOUT CDR. CAPRIOTTI, AND LT.CDR. AVIAN?

WITH HOPE,

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009

MICHAEL

totiano
view post Posted on 9/1/2009, 10:29

for all intersted, this was the story:
Here I am and this was the story:

in 1965 Italian consulate in Tel Aviv start documents to carrie in Italy the italian soldier buried in Kayatt beach, Haifa. there were 5 men: 4 from the Navy and 1 form the air force.

PO Del Ben was identified thanks to the name on the cross in plot "H", row "D" grave n° 2. also the other sailors were idenfied but not Lt.Chersi. The "no name" tomb that was supposed Chersi was in plot "H", row "C" grave n° 13

when the 5 bodies arrived in Italy Del Ben mum's asked the body and today is in the cemetery of Gradisca di Isonzo (northern Italy).

the supposed poor remain of Chersi was not sure certified and He was buried as "no mame" in Bari.

if you want some paper about the story, the right office is
COMMISSARIATO GENERALE ONORANZE CADUTI GUERRA
via 20 settembre 123
00187 Roma Italy

michael Gottschalk
view post Posted on 11/1/2009, 12:39

Many Many thanks to Cdr Marco Totiano for ALL HIS HELP, and ALL THE FRIENDS IN THE FORUM.

at last we know that these Brave Men are back on ITLIAN SOIL.

SINCERLY

MICHAEL GOTTSCHALK

ISRAEL NAVY SEALS. RETIRED.

13 replies since 5/12/2008, 08:43   726 views